The past year has been a challenging one, but we have risen to the occasion for our policyholders — again and again.
Posted in Chiropractor on Thursday, February 11, 2021
Back in 1946, if you had told our founders that we’d be in the middle of a pandemic during our diamond anniversary in 2021, I know they would have reacted in the same way we have in this last year. First and foremost, they would have asked: "How can we help our DCs? What can we do to assist them in keeping their doors open? How can we support them and their staff to continue to safely treat their patients?"
Because from the beginning, NCMIC has been about serving those who serve others. We like to think we exemplify our founders’ intentions every day, even in “normal” times — but this year, we hope it came through loud and clear:
- We refused to cancel accounts because of late premium payments.
- We waived late payment fees.
- We created a free COVID Leave of Absence policy endorsement.
- We helped more than 1,000 DCs temporarily move to part-time work status.
- We became a PPP lender, funding more than $5 million (so far) in loans to help our chiropractors stay afloat.
And we would do it all again. And again. And again. (Although we certainly hope we don’t have to.)
Supporting the Profession
As proud as we are of our pandemic response, it’s just part of our 2020 story. We continued to exemplify “We Take Care of Our Own®” in every decision we made, supporting the profession in ways both big and small. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Bucks for Boards program awarded 200 scholarships for 2020 National Board exams — $100,000 in all. And we have another 200 to award in 2021! This investment in students will benefit many in the years to come.
- With the pandemic, we quickly changed course to adapt to a COVID world and continued with virtual programming, which included 80 virtual events and 13 sponsorships for events we couldn’t attend in-person.
- We continue to fund cutting-edge research to advance the profession as well as post-doctoral degrees at many institutions, including fellowships at Harvard and Yale.
- Of course, this is our 25th consecutive year of dividends, putting a total of more than $155 million back in the pockets of our policyholders!
Our Professionals Support Us
We’re always happy when we take home honors like the Des Moines Business Record’s Best Company to Work For and the Best Small Business with a Bright Future. We also achieved statewide recognition when we were named one of the Des Moines Register’s Top Workplaces in Iowa. But the recognitions have meant even more in the last year, because it shows that our employees have taken the NCMIC culture we’re so proud of home with them. They’ve delivered outstanding service, creative solutions, innovative ideas and overwhelming kindness from their home offices and kitchen tables. Although we’re not surprised, we do know how lucky we are to have such talented, dedicated, and truly thoughtful employees.
Now, More Than Ever — We're Here For You
After the year we’ve all had, I know and believe now more than ever that no insurance company has your best interests at heart like NCMIC does. In 2020, we fought hard for our DCs whether it was related to the pandemic, to telling the story of the many challenges chiropractic has faced over the decades, or to make sure you have the best claims and defense team possible available to you.
We will always fight for you. We will always fight for chiropractic. And on behalf of everyone here at NCMIC, we thank you for allowing us to do so.