Suicide Awareness and Intervention
In the aftermath of COVID, the isolation people feel from working at home, the financial stress of inflation, and depression due to stress, suicides have dramatically increased.
Posted in Webinars on Monday, October 10, 2022
In the aftermath of COVID, the isolation people feel from working at home, the financial stress of inflation, and depression due to stress, suicides have dramatically increased. It is crucial that as part of the primary healthcare workforce, chiropractors are competent in early identification of suicide risk. 60 to 70 percent of individuals who die by suicide see a medical or behavioral healthcare professional in the year before death. Learn how to use evidence-informed strategies to address the needs of potential suicide individuals. Be able to give support to patients, colleagues, and family members who are dealing with increased stress.
- Improve skill, knowledge, and attitudes in addressing behavioral and mental health with patients.
- Identify risk alerts and develop a safe plan related to them
- Improve knowledge and skill when screening and assessing patients for substance use, depression, PTSD, and suicidal thoughts.
- Enable providers to conduct brief interventions using motivational interviewing to build trust and increase adherence and engagement in collaborative treatment planning.
- Help providers refer patients to treatment services and follow up on referrals.
Suicide Awareness and Prevention Transcript (PDF)
Dr. Mario Fucinari, DC, CPCO, CPPM, CIC
Dr. Mario Fucinari led a highly successful practice in Decatur, Illinois, for 35 years. He graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic Davenport in 1986. Dr. Fucinari is a Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO), Certified Physician Practice Manager, Certified Insurance Consultant, and a member of the Carrier Advisory Committee for Medicare. He is an author of several books on Compliance, HIPAA, ICD-10 coding, and E/M Guidelines. He has been a frequent speaker for NCMIC and various organizations for over twenty years.