taxes and your practice

Make sure you're properly set up to handle payroll taxes as well as sales, property and income tax.

Taxes and Your Practice - What You Need to Know

Paying taxes may not be convenient, but it is something you are required to do! No matter what the legal structure of your practice, you'll probably have several tax-related issues to deal with - payroll, income, property and sales taxes.

The proper payment of taxes and compliance with applicable tax laws is essential to the long-term health of your practice. As with so many areas in business, this is an area where outside advice from a financial professional is a must. With tax reform going into effect for tax year 2018, it is especially important to make sure you are compliant with the new law and understand its impact on your financial situation. 

An accountant, CPA or tax attorney will be able to help you navigate the world of taxes and likely save you more money than what they charge you in fees. Additionally, compliance provides a wonderful peace of mind. This external help will allow you to focus on your patients and not spend more time than necessary on tax issues.

Payroll Taxes

What do I need from the IRS?

A tax ID number must be obtained from the IRS if you are not going to operate as a sole proprietor. As a sole proprietor, taxes can be reported and paid under the individual's Social Security number. As an alternative, a proprietor can apply for a business taxpayer ID number from the IRS, called an Employer Identification Number (EIN). For all business forms other than a proprietorship, an EIN must be used.

Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)

  • Used on bank accounts, insurance forms, taxes and payments to IRS for payroll taxes
  • Application available from the Internal Revenue Service
  • No filing fee
  • See the IRS website for more information on obtaining an EIN

No matter what type of business form is finally selected for the practice, payroll taxes will have to be paid. In the case of a sole proprietorship or independent contractor the practitioner is responsible for payment and withholding all of their taxes, including self-employment taxes.

What about withholding?

If the business form is a partnership or corporation or has employees, taxes must be withheld for all employees and submitted to both the state and federal governments on a regular basis. An EIN number is required as are special forms.

For tax withholding in partnerships, corporations, or proprietors that have employees, the government considers the employer to be operating as an agent and in trust for the government. Failure to collect taxes or conversion of the tax monies to one's own personal use carries very severe criminal sanctions. It's important that all tax obligations be paid on time.

For withholding of state taxes, requirements vary from state to state. Check with your state treasurer's office for the proper procedures and forms needed to comply with your state's tax laws.

Income Taxes

When reporting and paying taxes under a Social Security number or EIN, through withholding or quarterly installments, at least 90 percent of the annual income tax liability for a given year must be paid to the government by December 31st.

Failure to pay at least 90 percent of the estimated tax bill will result in payment of penalties. Income tax laws for all types of business entities are complex and have different rules for treatment of business income and expenses. Again, professional assistance is a must.

Property Taxes

Property taxes are paid in some locales at the state, county, and/or city level. Personal and real property are subject to various tax laws and regulations depending on location and circumstances.

For example, with leased equipment some locales assess a tax, similar to a sales tax, on the lessor on the rental payments and that tax is included in the pricing and terms of the lease agreement and passed on to the lessee. Also, if you own your office premises, you will likely be responsible for real estate property taxes. Check with your county and state treasurers' offices for information on applicable local taxes.

Sales Taxes

Generally sales taxes are not assessed on services, but if the practice is going to sell goods, such as nutritional supplements, they may be subject to sales tax. A sales tax license is required from the state and in some locations from counties and cities.

A sales tax number is used for reporting and making payments on taxable items. Requirements vary from state to state and you can check with your state treasurer's office for information.

This website uses first party and third party cookies to improve your experience and anonymously track site visits. By visiting this website, you opt-in to the use of cookies. OK