Best Practices for Masking Up
Cloth face coverings help slow the spread of COVID-19 — but only when used correctly.
Posted in Coronavirus on Monday, August 17, 2020
Cloth face coverings for children and adults help slow the spread of COVID-19 when combined with everyday preventive actions and social distancing in public settings. It’s important to put them on correctly, remove them appropriately and to wash face coverings after each use.
A recent hot topic is all the talk related to the potential rise of COVID-19 with children returning to school, adults returning to work and the fall/flu season right around the corner. A question frequently asked on the heels of this topic is, “Do we really need to wear face coverings and ask others to do so?” The answer to the question is “Yes.” COVID-19 exposure can be reduced by focusing on the basics of preventative actions which include wearing face coverings.
Wearing a face covering is one of the easiest, and often underutilized, ways to help slow the spread of COVID-19, when combined with preventive actions like hand-washing and social distancing. Appropriately wearing, removing and washing face coverings protects you and others from the spread of COVID-19.
How to Wear
- Wash your hands before putting on your face covering
- Put over your nose and mouth; secure under chin
- Fit it snugly against the sides of your face
- Ensure you can breathe easily
- Don’t put it around your neck or on your forehead
- Don’t touch it once it’s in place; if you do, wash your hands.
How to Remove
- Untie and handle only by the ear loops
- Fold outside corners together
- Don’t touch your face when removing
- Wash hands immediately after removing
How to Clean
- Add to your regular laundry
- Wash by hand
- Prepare a solution of 1/3 cup bleach per gallon of room temperature water. Soak for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water. Some bleach products are not a disinfectant so check your bleach labels.
How to Dry
- Use the highest setting and leave in the dryer until completely dry
- Lay flat and allow to completely dry
- Hang in direct sunlight until completely dry