Anytime you, as a policyholder, have a concern in your day-to-day practice, we encourage you to contact us. We're here to help whether you:
- Simply need advice about a touchy patient encounter or situation.
- Heard a rumor that a patient is unhappy with you or some aspect of your practice.
- Suspect a patient may be considering a lawsuit or filing a complaint against you.
- Received a written demand for money or services from a patient or an attorney.
Whatever the situation, we encourage you to:
Call NCMIC's Claims Services Department promptly via the Claims Advice Hotline. This free and confidential policyholder service can help guide you through the process. Calling NCMIC early so we can work with you from the start may help you avoid a claim.
Toll-free phone number: 800-242-4052
Toll-free fax number: 1-877-367-9654
When you call NCMIC, please have the following information available:
- Date, time and place of the alleged incident
- The clinical records
- The lawsuit or nature of the claim
Place the entire original patient chart, including X-rays, in a secure location.
Never change or alter clinical records in any way.
Maintain a separate file for correspondence and documents from NCMIC and/or your defense counsel as well as legal documents. DO NOT place any of these materials in the patient chart.
- Be prepared to commit your time to the defense of the claim. The claim process can be lengthy. Your cooperation and involvement are necessary for the matter to be resolved in the most favorable manner. Rest assured, NCMIC will be there with you every step of the way to protect your name and reputation.