What is covered by a basic auto policy?

Your auto policy likely includes the following six coverages which are priced separately.

  • Liability – Protects the owners or drivers of a vehicle for amounts they are legally responsible to pay due to an auto accident.
    • Bodily Injury Liability – Protects you against financial loss if someone is injured or killed by your auto and you are found liable.
    • Property Damage Liability – Pays for damage you may cause to someone else's property. Usually, this means damage to someone else's car, but it also includes other damaged property.
  • Medical Payments – Pays medical expenses of individuals in your car who are injured as a result of an auto accident.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Pays for the treatment of injuries to the driver and passengers of the insured's car.
  • Collision – Pays for damage to your car that is a result of a collision with another car or object.
  • Comprehensive – Pays for losses due to theft or damage that is caused by something other than a collision with another car or object. This might include damage from a fire, falling objects, missiles, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, flood, vandalism, riot, or contact with animals such as birds or deer.
  • Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage – Reimburses you, family members, or a designated driver if an accident occurs that involves an uninsured or underinsured individual.

< Back to Frequently Asked Questions

NCMIC Insurance Services is a licensed insurance agency. Insurance coverage is underwritten through many of the nation's leading insurance carriers. CA license #0B84564. In NY: NCMIC Insurance Agency. In MI: NCMIC Insurance Services Agency, Inc.